Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Review: The Missionary

I love books.  I always have.
I can read an entire book in a day if it's a good one.
My favorite genre is Christian fiction, so when I had the opportunity to review The Missionary by William Carmichael and David Lambert I was super excited!
The Missionary


Below is the synopsis from the  book's website:

David and his wife Christie rescue impoverished children in the slums of Venezuela. But for David, that's not enough. The supply of homeless children is endless because of the corrupt policies of the Venezuelan government.
In a rare moment of anger, David lashes out publicly against the government, unaware of the chain reaction that will soon follow.
When the CIA offers David a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a key role in a "bloodless" coup, he decides to go for it. But little by little, he falls into an unimaginable web of deceit that ends in a desperate, life-or-death gamble to flee the country with his wife and son, with all the resources of a corrupt dictatorship at their heels.

So I started reading this book while sitting at an indoor playground with my kiddos--we were there for two hours before I made myself put the book away and take them home!  It will catch your interest in the first chapter and you won't want to put it down!
I am more of a drama, romance-type but I do enjoy a good action/suspense every once in a while.  This book is definitely more of a suspense novel but has just enough romance between husband and wife to satisfy the romantic side! 
I do have to say that I found it a bit difficult to follow some of the characters at first (the "bad guys") but deeper into the book I had no trouble at all.  I won't go into detail about what happens in the book (I'm not a fan of spoilers!), but I will tell you that as you follow David through this book you will be on the edge of your seat!

The Missionary is a book that anyone who likes suspense novels will enjoy.  It's nice to have a good, "clean" book to read and I can't wait for my husband to pick it up!

Thanks to Bring It On Communications for sending me The Missionary to review!  Be sure to visit their site as well as the website for Deep River Books, which was founded by co-author William Carmichael. 

You can purchase The Missionary at a number of bookstores, but my favorite place to find it is Soles 4 Souls--it's $5 right now, and for each one purchased a pair of shoes will be donated to a child in need!!



*This is a MamaBuzz review. The product was provided by: Bring It On Communications for this review.

1 comment:

Becki S said...

Sounds like one I need to put on my list!! I usually don't read anything scary (yes, I'm a big wimp!!), but this one sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing!